A Filipina held hostage by a notorious kidnapping-for-ransom gang in the strife-torn southern Philippines was released from captivity on Friday, police said, a week after her Canadian boyfriend was beheaded by the gunmen.
Marites Flor was among four people abducted nine months ago by Abu Sayyaf Islamic militants based on remote, mountainous islands, who have earned millions of dollars from kidnappings in recent years.
Flor's partner, Robert Hall, was beheaded after a ransom deadline lapsed last week, following a similar killing of the other Canadian hostage, John Ridsdel, in April.
Flor was freed in Sulu, a southern archipelago known as a hideout of the militants, the local police chief, Wilfredo Cayat, told AFP.
Cayat did not give details on the circumstances of her release except that she was dropped off outside the house of local politician Abdusakur Tan on Jolo, the main island in Sulu.
Another politician from the area, Jesus Dureza, told AFP he negotiated with the kidnappers on behalf of incoming Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte to win Flor's release.
"She told me her captors roused her at dawn and ordered her to pack up, telling her: 'You are going home,'" Dureza added.
Dureza later accompanied Flor on a private jet to the southern city of Davao for a meeting with Duterte, who takes office as the next Philippine president on June 30.
The fate of Norwegian hostage Kjartan Sekkingstad, who was abducted along with Flor and the Canadians, remained unknown.
The four were seized in September aboard yachts at a tourist resort on Samal island, about 500 kilometres to the west of Sulu.
Flor's ordeal ended on the same day Indonesian authorities announced that seven Indonesian sailors have been kidnapped at sea off the southern Philippines where Abu Sayyaf is known to operate.
Philippine authorities told AFP they were working to verify the report. If confirmed, it would be the third kidnapping of Indonesian sailors this year.
Fourteen other Indonesian hostages and four Malaysians have been freed since the beginning of the year.
The defence ministers of the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia agreed this week to consider coordinated steps including possible joint patrols to tackle a wave of seaborne crime in the Sulu and Celebes seas, which together form a key waterway among the three countries.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Indonesians mourn governor's son found dead in Swiss river
Indonesia summons India envoy over 'derogatory' Prophet remarks
Cambodia ruling party scores landslide local poll win
New Australia PM, Indonesia president ride bikes as diplomatic wheels turn
Volcano erupts in the Philippines
Beijing to relax Covid curbs in some areas from Sunday
Victoria's Secret pays $8.3m settlement to sacked Thai workers
Seven people killed as fire engulfs ferry in Philippines
Seven killed after fire engulfs Philippine ferry