The United Nations' independent fact-finding mission on Sudan said Thursday that the siege and capture of El-Fasher by a paramilitary group bore "the hallmarks of genocide".Its investigation concluded that the Rapid Support Forces' (RSF) seizure of the city in Darfur state in October had inflicted "three days of absolute horror" and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.The mission warned that "urgent protection of civilians is needed, now more than ever" in neighbouring Kordofan state, the flashpoint of fighting since the RSF's capture of El-Fasher, which was marked by ethnic massacres, sexual violence and detention."The scale, co-ordination and public endorsement of the operation by senior RSF leadership demonstrate that the crimes committed in and around El-Fasher were not random excesses of war," said mission chairman Mohamad Chande Othman. "They formed part of a planned and organised operation that bears the defining characteristics of genocide."Since April 2023, the conflict between Sudan's army and the paramilitary RSF has killed tens of thousands and forced 11mn people to flee their homes.It has triggered what the UN says is one of the world's worst humanitarian crises.The UN Human Rights Council established the Independent International Fact-Finding Mission for the Sudan in October 2023, to begin gathering evidence of violations.Its investigation into the takeover of El-Fasher, following an 18-month siege, concluded that thousands of people, particularly from the Zaghawa ethnic group, "were killed ... or disappeared".The Zaghawa is one of the area's largest non-Arab ethnic groups.The mission interviewed 320 witnesses and victims from El-Fasher and the surrounding areas, including in investigative visits to Chad and South Sudan.It authenticated, verified and corroborated 25 videos.Survivors spoke of widespread killings, including indiscriminate shootings, and mass executions at exit points.They described seeing roads filled with the bodies of men, women and children, the mission said.The report also detailed detention, torture, humiliation, extortion, ransom and disappearances.Widespread violence targeted women and girls from non-Arab communities, particularly the Zaghawa, it added."Women and girls ranging from seven to 70 years old, including pregnant women, were subjected to (assault)."Many survivors reported being assaulted in front of their relatives, the report said, with such violence frequently accompanied by extreme physical brutality."In one case, a 12-year-old girl was (assaulted) by three RSF fighters in front of her mother, shortly after her father had been killed while trying to protect her. The girl later died from her injuries," it said.Such targeted violence was often committed in locations where mass killings had taken place, including at El-Saudi Hospital and at El-Fasher University."Witnesses recounted the RSF violently and publicly (assaulting) at least 19 women in rooms filled with corpses, including the remains of their own husbands," the report said.Concluding that the RSF had acted "with genocidal intent", the mission found "at least three underlying acts of genocide were committed".These included killing members of a protected ethnic group and causing serious bodily or mental harm."The RSF acted with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, the Zaghawa and Fur communities in El-Fasher. These are the hallmarks of genocide," said investigator Mona Rishmawi.The mission said such levels of atrocity had been reached because the perpetrators acted with impunity.Reacting to the report at the UN Security Council Thursday, UN Under Secretary General Rosemary DiCarlo said: "Strong action by the Security Council is more important than ever."Chairing the meeting, British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper said: "There's page after page of the most distressing accounts imaginable. It is horrific."
Region
60,000 flock to Al-Aqsa for Isha, Taraweeh despite Israeli repression and restrictions
Thursday, February 19, 2026
Thursday, February 19, 2026
Thursday, February 19, 2026
Thursday, February 19, 2026
Thursday, February 19, 2026
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
UN human rights chief raises alarm after drone strikes kill 50 in Sudan
Thursday, February 19, 2026
Israeli Occupation's West Bank land measures threaten two-state solution, OIC warns
Monday, February 16, 2026
Israeli occupation murders over 72,063 Palestinians since beginning of genocide on Gaza
Monday, February 16, 2026
Saudi Arabia condemns Israeli move to claim West Bank lands as "State Property"
Monday, February 16, 2026
Palestinian leader urges removal of all Israeli ‘obstacles’ on Gaza ceasefire
Sunday, February 15, 2026