Qatar accuses UAE of hacking that sparked Gulf crisis
July 17 2017 05:17 PM
QNA

Reuters/Doha

Qatar said it believed a media report citing US officials had revealed the responsibility of the United Arab Emirates in an alleged hack on its state news agency in late May which helped spark a diplomatic rift between Doha and its neighbours.
"The information published in the Washington Post ... revealed the involvement of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and senior Emirati officials in the hacking of Qatar News Agency," Qatar's Government Communication Office said in a statement.
The report "unequivocally proves that this hacking crime took place", it added.
The UAE's minister of state for foreign affairs Anwar Gargash said earlier on Monday that the Washington Post report was false and denied his country's involvement in any hack. 
QNA adds: A report in the Washington Post said the United Arab Emirates orchestrated the hacking of a Qatari government news site in late May.
The report quotes unnamed US intelligence officials as saying that senior members of the Emirati government discussed the plan on May 23, but the officials said it was unclear if the UAE hacked the websites or paid for them to be carried out, the newspaper reported.
The report said it was unclear whether Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Egypt had also taken part in penetrating Qatari government websites.
The hacking took place on May 24, shortly after a lengthy meeting between US President Donald Trump and Gulf leaders in Saudi Arabia.

Last updated: July 17 2017 05:26 PM


There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS