Reuters /Kuala Lumpur/Hanoi
A Malaysia Airlines flight carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew went missing off the Vietnamese coast yesterday and was presumed to have crashed.
There were no reports of bad weather and no sign why the Boeing 777-200ER would have vanished from radar screens about an hour after it took off from Kuala Lumpur for Beijing. There were no signs of sabotage nor claims of a terrorist attack.
However, in Europe, news reports and officials said at least two people on board may have been carrying stolen passports.
The Italian foreign ministry said in Rome that an Italian was listed on the flight’s manifest although no national from the country was on board. The passenger list provided by the airline includes Luigi Maraldi, 37, an Italian citizen.
Newspaper Corriere Della Sera reported that Maraldi’s passport was stolen in Thailand last August.
The Italian Interior Ministry was unable to immediately comment on the report.
In Vienna, the Austrian foreign ministry said an Austrian listed among the passengers was safe and had reported his passport stolen two years ago while he was travelling in Thailand.
Asked for a possible explanation for the plane’s disappearance, Malaysia Airlines CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya told a news conference: “We are not ruling out any possibilities.”
By late last night, there were no confirmed signs of the plane or any wreckage, over 20 hours after it went missing.
Operations will continue through the night, officials said.
Vietnam said its rescue planes had spotted two large oil slicks and a column of smoke off its coastline, but it was not clear if they were connected to the missing plane.
“We sent two maritime boats and some military boats there to clarify, each boat with about 20 people,” Pham Quy Tieu, vice minister of transportation, said by telephone last evening.
“The oil spills are about 15km long. Those boats will be there in about three to four hours.”
A crash, if confirmed, would likely mark the US-built airliner’s deadliest incident since entering service 19 years ago. And it would also mark the second fatal accident involving a Boeing 777 in less than a year.
An Asiana Airlines Boeing 777-200ER crash-landed in San Francisco in July 2013, killing three passengers and injuring more than 180. Boeing said it was monitoring the situation but had no further comment.
A large number of planes and ships from several countries were scouring the area where the plane last made contact, about halfway between Malaysia and the southern tip of Vietnam.
“The search and rescue operations will continue as long as necessary,” Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak told reporters in Kuala Lumpur. He said 15 air force aircraft, six navy ships and three coast guard vessels had been pressed into service by Malaysia.
Vietnam dispatched two navy boats from Phu Quoc island and sent two jets and one helicopter from Ho Chi Minh City to search for the missing airliner. It was readying a further seven planes and nine boats to join the search effort.
Other than Vietnamese and Malaysian search operations, China and the Philippines have also sent ships to the region to help. The US, the Philippines, and Singapore also dispatched military planes. China has also put other ships and aircraft on standby, said Transport Minister Yang Chuantang.
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi told reporters in Beijing that China was “extremely worried” about the fate of the plane and those on board. Search and rescue vessels from the Malaysian maritime enforcement agency reached the area where the plane last made contact at about 4:30 p.m. local time (0830 GMT) but saw no sign of wreckage, a Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency told Reuters.
The 11-year-old Boeing, powered by Rolls-Royce Trent engines, took off at 12:40 am (1640 GMT Friday) from Kuala Lumpur International Airport and was apparently flying in good weather conditions when it went missing.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
‘Castle boys’ in shifting sands of Boracay closure
Ministry expresses ‘great displeasure’ as abuse row deepens
Duterte’s trust rating slightly down: survey
Boracay closes for tourists amid heavy security
Philippines seeks explanation as Kuwait expels envoy
Philippines' Boracay Island closes for six-month clean-up
Strained by tourism, holiday island checks in for rehabilitation
Govt to deport Aussie nun who angered Duterte
Police conduct riot drills as Boracay closure challenged